What exactly is a food and lifestyle coach?
A food and lifestyle coach works with clients to find the his or her unique and delicate balance between healthy eating and a happy lifestyle. For real. No more diets disguised as temporary “healthy lifestyle changes”.
A common misconception is that the lifestyle coach will tell you what to do or what to eat, but I won’t do that. I help you try, adjust, and test strategies until you find out what works for you.
What kinds of things does food and lifestyle coaching cover, generally?
In my practice I cover any combination of or all of the following, depending on the program scope:
- mindset/attitude (mass media de-programming)
- pantry purge and restock
- meal planning
- mindfulness and the energy of food
- understanding food labels
- choosing an eating style
- grocery shopping and time saving food prep
- exercise and self care
- body image and self esteem
- introducing new foods to the fam
- coping with stress and its effects on progress
- ongoing maintenance
- any other food and lifestyle challenges a client brings up
Who do you work with?
I like to work with busy moms and/or professional women who just found out they are at risk of developing heart disease, hypertension, diabetes and are ready to lose a good amount of weight. She has tried numerous diets and weight loss programs that maybe worked for a while or didn’t work at all. She has already come to the conclusion that one size fits all diets and extreme exercise does not work long term and is open to a whole new paradigm that honors happiness as an integral part of well being (She wants to have fun!) She is fed up with eating salads all the damn time and pretending to love it, and she’s had enough of bootcamps. She wants her energy back and to not have to worry about her health anymore. And maybe to look hot in her favorite outfit. But most of all, SHE KNOWS THAT THERE’S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY TO LIVE. I love seeing the healthy transformations made by my clients with joy and happiness instead of discomfort and suffering.
What are my qualifications?
- First, I’m a foodie and have been one all of my life, long before the term “foodie” came about. Food is my passion. So I guess you can say that I’m a high-level home chef. I’ve taken many culinary classes.
- I am a certified life and wellness coach. I am certified by Genesis Life Coaching Institute.
- I am a certified tantra instructor. I am certified by Ipsalu Tantra, formerly Tantrika International.
- I’m a graduate of Howard University School of Law. This is where I was formally trained to research and synthesize complex information on any topic, as lawyers must do, and communicate information in an accurate and concise manner. In other words law school taught me how to feed my insatiable curiosity and help others benefit from it.
- I also am a certified CDC (Centers for Disease Control) National Diabetes Prevention Program Lifestyle Coach.
What if I’m a vegetarian or vegan (or other)?
Before I take on a new client we have a conversation about goals and priorities. There will be a series of questions that will indicate your individual situation, eating style, sensitivities, preferences, etc. My programs are all highly customized so we can work together to make it work. But realize though, that the more restrictions you have the more challenging the process may be.
What if I have already been diagnosed with a chronic lifestyle disease? Can I still participate?
I am not a medical professional so I do NOT diagnose, or treat any conditions or give medical advice. Working with me is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the on the internet.
That said, I can work with clients with these conditions ONLY under the supervision and recommendations from your physician or dietician. In other words, I will hold your hand and help you work out the logistics of following your doctor’s diet and lifestyle instructions and recommendations successfully.
How much weight will I lose, and in how much time?
My goal as your food and lifestyle coach is not to see how many pounds you can possibly lose (This is NOT the Biggest Loser show). My role here is to get you to a PERMANENT and SUSTAINABLE state of good health.
I do not guarantee a specific weight loss. The truth is, I don’t know IF you’ll lose weight. Sure I could promise to have you 20 pounds lighter in a month’s time. But there are just too many variables in each individual to make that call because you will not be starving and depriving your body to the point that it is FORCED to lose weight no matter what. Any weight loss you experience will be from finding balance in your eating and lifestyle. I will help you find out how to eat for your (real) health, raise your energy level, help you reduce stress and feel comfortable in your own skin.
Most of my clients do lose weight, but not necessarily to their imagined (or societally imposed) ideal weight on the scale or dress size. Some of those clients initially gain weight and then lose, but it’s just part of the process of getting down to what your body truly needs for nourishment and health.